Thursday, April 02, 2015

Fine Motor Skill : Homemade Dough for Play

I love playing play-dough when I was a kid but unfortunately it's quite messy and expensive so I didn't really have much chance to play with it.

Thankful for the internet, for google and also to all the mummies who shares information online, I found out that you can actually make non toxic play dough with kitchen ingredients!


Materials:
  • Flour (all purpose flour)
  • Salt
  • Water (lukewarm water works better imo)
  • Big Bowl
  • Food Colouring (optional*)


Steps:
1. Mix approximately 1 cup Flour and 1/2 cup Salt together in a big bowl.

2. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of water while stiring or mixing with your hands/fork.
Stop when you feel that it's just right (mushy, not watery)

3. Keep kneading it until it's ready to play, if it's too wet add a bit of flour, if it's too "flour-y" add a bit of water.

4. Drop a few drops of food colouring in the dough and knead it till the dough changes to the colour that you want. This is optional, no need to add food colouring if you are okay with white dough. :)




3 Primary colours (Yellow, Blue and Red) is all you need.
You can mix the colours to get different colours.
Eg Yellow + Blue = Green
Yellow + Red = Orange
Red + Blue = Purple



From another playing session:

I did the dough-man and she gave the it legs! lol.
Also did the numbers and held her hand to trace them.




Previously I made her some cards with shapes and their names in English/Chinese, decide to take them out so she can fill up the shapes (e.g. see star and heart which was done by me lol.)

Then she decide to fascinate me by making little pieces of dough and placing them on the points on the shapes instead. (Other than oval and circle which has no points so she placed the dough randomly, the rest are right! 3 points on triangle and 4 points each on rectangle, square and rhombus.)


Cutie pie loves playing with them and could play whole day. Usually I would make them in the morning/noon and she will play for a few sessions throughout the day. When it's time to eat I would keep them in a box and so that it will not dry up so fast. :)

1 comment:

Jenna H. said...

That is awesome! I love sculpting with clay so I am going to try this out! :)
Happy Easter weekend!
-Jenna <3
Follow for a follow?? The Chic Cupcake